THE WOLSELEY VISION
Our Vision and Objectives:
- To involve the local community in fully managing and assisting with the economic and community regeneration of our own inner-city area of Plymouth
- To help bring real life style improvements in the form of jobs, health, wealth and business opportunities, to benefit people from our inner-city area
- To become largely self-sufficient, reducing grant dependency by sustaining our community activities through our own trading- generating surplus from managing the assets developed from capital funding and recycling this money to help
- To provide services for local people.
Both parts of our business are important to us and we strive to be the best possible practitioner in both aspects:
- Developing and managing business units as well as providing meeting room and community facility hire to provide a sustainable income
INTEGRATING OUR BUSINESS ACTIVITIES TO SUBSIDISE…………
OUR COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Helping people and organisations from our area providing services from our Wolseley Community Centre and Jan Cutting Healthy Living Centre plus community infrastructure support by way of cash, advice and support.
WHO ARE WE?
- A Community Economic Development Trust with a local membership of over 600 local residents. Any local business or community organisation in our catchment area can join to be a Member of the Trust, free of charge. Our activities continue to be shaped and influenced by extensive community consultation.
- An independent Community Managed Company Limited by Guarantee. Our experienced Management Board reflects our partnership ethos of democratic involvement and empowerment, the majority being elected from our community resident Membership. We are accountable to our community Membership for all our activities.
- A successful and respected Partner working alongside the private and public sector to deliver local and city-wide regeneration initiatives
- A model of community and asset management which continues to be followed and adopted by fellow Trusts both locally and nationally.
- Wolseley Trust was the first Community Development Trust in Plymouth, pioneering and developing community involvement and business practices which have been widely adopted.
- The Trust has an 11 year track record of developing and managing business parks and community facilities worth in excess of £10 million. We are supported in this by our major partner, Plymouth City Council.
- We have an current turnover of £1.2 million per annum from which we generate a trading surplus providing up to £150,000 a year for community infrastructure support
- In excess of 1500 jobs have been supported across our business parks since we first commenced trading in January 1997. Operating in an area of high unemployment the Trust maintains a firm commitment to support local enterprise, local job creation and local training on the sites.
- Developing and maintaining cross sector partnerships. Currently working with 40 partner agencies to deliver health and well being initiatives across our 4 wards; private sector businesses and contractors; and key partners from the ‘third sector’ (community and social enterprises)
WOLSELEY BUSINESS PARK
- Development of derelict inner city area in partnership with Plymouth City Council and funding from ERDF, SRB and Plymouth Task Force.
- Simultaneously with the development of the Trust as an independent , democratic social enterprise the construction of the business park was completed in 1997
The site comprises 24 light industrial and office units, a community resource building, a community nursery and a café.
- The Business Park is home to 20 tenants, currently supporting 85 jobs. Since its construction the site has generated over 250 jobs.
- Local schools and local residents were involved in the overall design and art work on the site
HEALTHY LIVING CENTRE
- Following successful £1 million Big Lottery Funding project, the Jan Cutting Healthy Living Centre was opened in January 2003
- Partner organisations provide a variety of services which impact and support positive lifestyle changes – currently these are mainly directly commissioned and paid for the Wolseley Trust itself.
- Successful partnerships established with over 50 organisations supporting health and well being
- Ability to respond quickly and flexibly to community health needs
SCOTT BUSINESS PARK
- Development of a former hospital site in partnership with Plymouth City Council and funding from Single Regeneration Budget, South West Regional Development Agency and Government Office for the South West.
- Construction of the site was completed in the summer of 2003 with the first tenants taking occupancy in the July. All the business units were occupied within 6 months.
- The site comprises 34 light industrial and office units ranging from 600-3000 sq ft, the Jan Cutting Healthy Living Centre and a community operated café.
- The overall high quality of the Business Park was recognised when we won the Abercrombie award for ‘Best Community Design Project’.
- The Park is home to 28 tenants from private, voluntary and public sectors. In excess of 1000 people are currently employed in the site.
JAN CUTTING HEALTHY LIVING CENTRE AND SCOTT BUSINESS PARK
Beacon Park Road
T: 01752 203670
F: 01752 203671
WOLSELEY TRUST BUSINESS PARK
F: 01752 607449